Essential functions, mission critical functions, essential business functions. No matter what you call them, they’re a crucial part of any emergency or continuity plan. Why? Essential functions are the responsibilities, or tasks, that your organization must complete to be considered operational. These can range from general accounting and HR to emergency/9-1-1 call response, and virtually anything and everything in between. To help you identify and prioritize your organization’s essential functions, BOLDplanning suggests you ask yourself the following ten questions (many of which will be covered during today’s Best Practices Webinar, Essential Functions & Business Impact Analysis, at 2 PM CDT).
- What functions do we perform and which ones are most important?
- What’s the frequency of the function(s) that must be conducted – daily, weekly, monthly, etc.?
- What resources (people, equipment, facilities, specialized resources) are required to complete these function(s)?
- Are certain functions dependent upon successful completion of another (finish-to-start), and if so, which ones?
- Does our organization have a clear understanding of which functions must continue during times of disruption versus those that can be delayed temporarily?
- Of those functions being delayed, do we have an understanding of how long they can be delayed?
- Are there certain functions that we perform based on requirements by laws, regulations or mandates?
- What is the priority of our essential functions based on their importance to our organization?
- Does everyone within our organization understand their role(s) in carrying out our essential functions?
- Could we experience loss of revenue or a tarnished reputation if certain functions aren’t maintained in an emergency or business disruption?
While the answers to these ten questions vary from organization to organization, it’s important to know that all essential functions serve the distinct purpose of ensuring continuity at all times. The goal is to prioritize them in a way that is both logical and meaningful. Enter BOLDplanning.
BOLDplanning is the leading provider of online software and consultative services for Continuity of Operations/Government Plans (COOPs/COGs), Business Continuity Plans (BCPs), Emergency Operations Plans (EOPs) and Hazard Mitigation Plan(s) (HMP). The company is currently the vendor of choice for more than 9,300 public and private sector organizations across the country.
Ready to learn more about BOLDplanning, essential functions or other key topics pertaining to better contingency planning? Just email info@BOLDplanning or call 615.469.5558 now. And don’t forget to inquire about our Best Practices Webinar Series, which takes place the first Thursday of every month. These 30-minute webinars are highly informative and completely free!